Former President Jonathan was in Guinea-Bissau/Lionscrib
Jonathan described the Guinea-Bissau power seizure as a “ceremonial coup” calling on ECOWAS to make election results public.
Goodluck Jonathan, has made startling claims following his recent evacuation from Guinea-Bissau, where he had been serving as an election observer.
Jonathan asserts that what has been characterized as a military coup was actually announced by the sitting President Umaro Sissoco EmbalĂł himself, rather than being an authentic military overthrow.
This development follows yesterday’s decision by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Authority of Heads of State and Governments to suspend Guinea-Bissau from participating in all regional decision-making structures.
On Thursday, those who led the takeover installed an Army General as the country’s new leader.
Gen. Horta N’Tam was sworn in during low-key ceremonies at military headquarters as transitional head of state for a one-year term, occurring one day after the military action that removed Embalo and dismantled the nation’s democratic institutions.
Speaking to journalists after his return, Jonathan expressed bewilderment at the unusual circumstances, noting that EmbalĂł himself first declared what Jonathan describes as a “ceremonial coup” before military forces assumed control.
According to the former President Jonathan, the removed president contacted various nations and media outlets to report the coup’s occurrence—behavior highly unusual for a typical military overthrow.
He said: “There was no coup in Guinea-Bissau. What happened in Guinea-Bissau, I wouldn’t call it a coup. It was not a coup. Maybe some people will describe it as a ceremonial coup. It was President EmbalĂł who announced the coup, before later, a military man came up and addressed the world that they had taken charge, which is strange.
“EmbalĂł not only announced the coup, but he was using his phone, making calls and addressing media organisations around the world that he had been arrested. I am a Nigerian and close to 70, and I know how they keep ex-heads of State when a coup takes place.
“The military doesn’t overthrow a government and a sitting President they have overthrown would be allowed to be using their phones and addressing press conferences, that he has been arrested. Who is fooling who?
“What happened in Guinea-Bissau is quite disturbing to me, who believes in democracy. I feel more pain than the day I called Muhammadu Buhari to congratulate him when I lost the election as a sitting president. What is happening is that we are going back to the past in Guinea-Bissau when the military was in charge.
“The election was peaceful. During the meeting of Heads of Observers’ missions, and all the observers gave their account, nobody said anything different. The elections were peaceful, the counting of votes was carefully done, conduct of officials was okay. The same thing with party agents. When they had finished collating the results, the nine regions were ready.”
Continuing his account, Jonathan stated: “When they were ready to announce the results, EmbalĂł announced that there is a coup. That they have taken over and they have arrested him. But, from every indication, no body arrested him.”
Jonathan called upon ECOWAS and the African Union to ensure the election results—which he maintains were completed and prepared for announcement—are made public so the legitimate winner can be identified and recognized.
Related: Goodluck Jonathan Says Nigerians Chased Him Out of Aso Rock
The former president also clarified the circumstances of his departure from Guinea-Bissau on an Ivorian plane, explaining that he wanted to personally address Nigerians to express gratitude “for the show of empathy and encouragement” during his ordeal in the West African nation.
He revealed that both Nigerian President Tinubu and CĂ´te d’Ivoire’s President Alassane Ouattara coordinated efforts to extract him and his team from Bissau.
However, the Ivorian delegation obtained landing authorization ahead of Nigeria due to closer regional connections between CĂ´te d’Ivoire and Guinea-Bissau.
“While we were in Bissau and this so-called coup happened, the information we got was that the whole country was agitated, young and old, irrespective of religious or political divides.
“And I sincerely appreciate Nigerians, and I want them to hear directly from my mouth to appreciate their concern. And secondly, to thank my president, President Tinubu, and the Ivorian president, President Ouattara.
“Both presidents were to send aircraft to lift us, but somehow you know CĂ´te d’Ivoire is closer to Guinea-Bissau, and there’s always some relationship between the Francophone countries and the Lusophones, who are among the Francophones.
“They were able to penetrate their system to get a landing permit before Nigeria could do that. So the Ivorian aircraft was already on its way to pick us up,” he said.
Jonathan noted that by the time Nigeria’s aircraft secured departure approval, CĂ´te d’Ivoire’s plane was already airborne and heading to collect them.
“So when we learnt that the Nigerian aircraft were about to leave, we asked them not to bother. That is why, if you see the pictures, I was brought by an Ivorian aircraft,” he said.
In related developments, ECOWAS has barred Guinea-Bissau from participating in all regional decision-making forums.
Under the leadership of Sierra Leone’s President Julius Maada Bio, the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government and the Mediation and Security Council (MSC) convened virtually on Thursday at the heads of state level.
Following their assessment of Wednesday’s military takeover, they decided to suspend Guinea-Bissau.
The West African heads of state took action based on the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance, demanding that the military leaders reinstate democratic governance and withdraw to their military installations.
Following the meeting, a communique stated: “The MSC decides, in accordance with the provision of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance 2001(A/SP/12/01), to suspend Guinea-Bissau from all ECOWAS Decision-making bodies until the restoration of full and effective constitutional order in the country.”
“The MSC also said it holds the coup leaders in the country individually and collectively responsible for the protection of the life and property of all citizens and residents of Guinea-Bissau and for the security and safety of all detainees.”
The council additionally instructed the military to return to barracks while maintaining stability and fulfilling their constitutional duties, and directed the ECOWAS Stabilisation and Support Mission in Guinea-Bissau (ESSMGB) to continue safeguarding the country’s institutions.
“The MSC decided to continue to monitor the situation in Guinea Bissau and reserves the right to use all options provided for by the 2001 ECOWAS Supplementary Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance and the 2012 Supplementary Act on Sanctions, including sanctions on all entities deemed culpable of disrupting the electoral and democratic process in Guinea Bissau,” it added.
The MSC subsequently authorized the Authority’s chair to spearhead a high-level diplomatic mission to Guinea-Bissau for discussions with the takeover leaders, aiming to achieve complete restoration of constitutional governance.
The designated mission members are Togo’s President Faure Gnassingbe; Cabo Verde’s President Jose Maria Pereira Neves; and Senegal’s President Bassirou Diomaye, who will be joined by ECOWAS Commission President Dr. Omar Touray.

General Horta Inta-A Sworn In As Interim Leader Of Guinea Bissau After Coup
First Openly Gay Woman Wins Miss England Crown
Gunmen Attack Convoy Of Former Minister Chris Ngige In Anambra
Why President Tinubu Declared A State Of Emergency On Security
Ukraine Reportedly Accepts Trump’s Peace Plan To End War With Russia
Nigeria This Week: A Tale Of Misfortunes